The John A. MacDougall Memorial Scholarship Program
The purpose of The John A. McDougall Memorial Scholarship Program is to financially support learning endeavors that enhance knowledge or appreciation of the Society and/or our cultural heritage. This might include a scholarship, fellowship, award, prize, or other method of financial assistance at North American and/or Scottish universities, colleges, other appropriate institutions, or from an appropriate tutor/instructor.
Scholarship emphasis is based on monetary support for “learning” rather than “doing.” Examples: Instruction in playing bagpipes or Scottish dance is definitely “learning” where participating in Scottish athletics is “doing.” Likewise, teaching Gaelic is “doing” whereas taking a course in Gaelic is “learning.”
- Submit a written application between Jan. 1 and Apr. 1, that includes:
- Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone, E-mail address, and Date of Birth.
- A desired amount.
- A short written explanation of the purpose of the request showing desire to learn particular endeavors that enhance knowledge or appreciation of the Society and/or Scottish cultural heritage.
- If a student:
- Official transcript of grades.
- Parent Name and address.
- Two written references, either academic or professional.
- The applicant must agree that, upon completion, Clan MacDougall Society of North America will be provided with a write-up of his/her experience, suitable for publishing in the Tartan.
Subject to approval, up to $500 is available.
2021 Application (link opens up PDF application)
Send application and references to:
The John A. McDougall Memorial Scholarship Program
Clan MacDougall Society of North America
c/o Kyle Jones, President
318 3rd ST
Watson, MN 56295
You may e-mail any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Financial need is not a requirement nor is a Scottish connection or a connection to the MacDougalls or MacDowalls. This program is open to the public.