Clan MacDougall Music
Sheet Music for Bagpipe Tunes
- Cumha Caiptein MacDugall, left page
- Cumha Caiptein Mac Dugall, right page
- Dunolly Castle
- Jeanne Rea’s Wedding
- MacDougall Gillies
- MacDougall of Lunga
- MacDougall of Lunga-Paterson
- MacDougall’s Gathering
- Macdougall’s jig Oban reel
- MacDougall’s Lament
- Clan music – All of the above tunes in a ZIP archive (413kb)
Many thanks to Suzanne Ora McDougal of Virginia for scanning these tunes and sending them to the Web site so they can be shared with others!
- Dunnoly.mid Mary (MacDougall) Hilchie of Ottawa, Ontario, printed one of the scanned tunes above and made a midi sequence.
- Clan MacDougall Society Jig: – Downloadable MP3 audio file (925kb) courtesy of Benne de Jong – pipemaster of the MacDowell Pipe Band (Hoogkerk, Netherlands)
- Beal an Righ: The Kings Taxes, a piobaireachd composed by the Chief’s hereditary piper Ronald bhan McDougall
- Caisteal Dhunolla: Castle Dunollie march.
- Cumha Chaiptein MacDhughaill: Lament for Captain MacDougall (for our 24th Chief’s eldest son Alexander killed in the peninsula campaign at Ciudad Rodrigo, Spain in 1812).
- Failte Iain Cheir: Salute to Iain Chiar (22nd chief of the MacDougalls).
- Failte Chlan Dughaill: Salute to Clan Dougall.
- Moladh Moraig: The praise of Marian (an old march with a new meaning).
- Latha Dhunabharti: Lament Dunaverty (lament for the MacDougall dead at Dunaverty).
- Brosnachahd-Catha Chlann Dughaill: Clan Dougall’s incitement to battle.
- Maid of Lorn: (composed for our 30th Chief on her twenty-first birthday)
Clan MacDowall Music and Poems
We asked the Fergus Macdowall, Chief of MacDowall, if there were any pipe tunes for Clan MacDowall. He said there weren’t however he, as Chief, has adopted the Galloway Hills pipe tune.
- Galloway Hills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBosOuGjEE
Another pipe tune for the Galloway area is Bonnie Galloway.
- Bonnie Galloway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArYU4aWnPNM
There was also The MacDowell Pipe Band, located in Hoogkerk, Groningen, Netherlands that was disbanded in 2017. The pipe band commemorated Professor William Makdowel (1590-1666) of Stodrig.
- The MacDowell Pipe Band performing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJkxrPRiE4
The book The MacDowalls states Pipe Major Benne de Jong composed a march tune titled “Professor MacDowell“, however we have not yet found a recorded copy.
A Canadian piper named Mitchell McDowell has a website with samples of tunes he plays as well as a few tunes he has composed himself. If you’d like some of the more popular tunes played by a MacDowall you can find some here.
- Mitchell McDowell sample tunes: http://www.mcdowellpiping.com/music.php
Clan MacDowall Poems and Ballads
- Ye Banks and Braes O’ Bonnie Doon poem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieraKMmvVh8
- Jai McDowall singing the poem Ye Banks and Braes O’ Bonnie Doon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9rSk7AYM0
Jai McDowall is one of the more popular modern MacDowall musicians today. Here he is performing Flowers of Scotland:
- Flowers of Scotland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSkmeFG4AE
The ballad “Willies Gane Tae Melville Castle” is said to be about William Macdowall II and his exploits while seeking a wife.
- Willies Gane Tae Melville Castle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-hooiicy8